The Softball Coaches Association of Indiana is pleased to announce the first annual SCAI Athlete Scholarships, which will be presented during each school year. Five $100 scholarships will be awarded to five seniors, one from each of the five SCIA Districts. The recipients will be well-rounded, positive role models who have demonstrated excellence in academics, school and community involvement, character, sportsmanship, and citizenship.
1. The student must be enrolled and participating in varsity softball at an IHSAA member school.
2. The student must be a senior at the IHSAA member school and will graduate during the school year in which the award is being applied for.
3. The student must be nominated by the athletic director, principal, or designated administrator.
4. The student must have no violations of their school’s athletic code of conduct.
5. The student must not have been ejected from any IHSAA contest due to unsportsmanlike behavior.
6. The student must verify that he/she has made a commitment to remain substance free throughout high school.
7. The coach must be a member of SCAI.
Student-athletes will have the opportunity to submit an application to their member school athletic director. The member school is responsible for establishing the process by which their nominee is selected. A member school athletic director may nominate only one student per season and should forward the application to the SCAI Scholarship Committee Chair by the deadlines listed on the second page.
· A valid application consists of the following:
· Application Form
· Official Transcript
· Applications shall be forwarded by the member school principal or coach to the SCAI Awards Chairperson. Incomplete individual applications will not be recognized, nor will they be judged.
· Each school is responsible for utilizing a delivery method which ensures that its application arrives on time. The SCAI is not responsible for delays caused by a school’s choice of delivery service.
· All applications must be received in the SCAI Awards Chairperson office by May 1st. Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted. No exceptions will be made for any reason.
· The applications will be reviewed by the SCAI Scholarship Committee at their annual spring meeting in May to make the final determination of the five scholarship award winners.
· Scholarship recipients will be announced during section week and recognized during the All-Star Banquet.
· All written communication shall be sent to member school principals.
· Schools are responsible for keeping their applicants and their families informed regarding their status in the competition.
· Schools of scholarship recipients will be sent a packet prior to the public announcement, including materials which must be completed and returned to the SCAI Awards Chairperson.
· A complete list of winners will be posted on the SCAI web site.
· The scholarship will be made payable to the student.
· All winners shall receive a certificate from the SCAI, which will be mailed to the member school athletic director or presented to the student at their awards ceremony if a SCAI representative is available.
· The deadlines for member schools to submit applications to the SCAI Scholarship Chairperson is May 1st.
The mailing address for the SCAI Scholarship Chairperson is:
PO Box 491
North Vernon, IN 47265